Open Enrollment

Public School Open Enrollment

The open enrollment application period for the 2021-22 school year is now closed. 

Wisconsin DPI Open Enrollment Webpage

2021-2022 Open Enrollment Brochure

What is Open Enrollment?

  • Beginning in the Fall of 1998, parents in Wisconsin were offered the option of having their children attend any public school in the State, where space is available, at the grade level or program requested. It is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation to and from this non-resident school district.  
Who can apply for open enrollment at the School District of Grafton?
  • Wisconsin residents in grades 4K-12 may apply to participate in open enrollment at the Grafton School District (GSD).
Is there a cost to parents for open enrollment?
  • There is no tuition cost to parents for participation in open enrollment. Parents of open enrolled pupils may be charged the same fees as resident pupils.
How and when may parents apply?
  • The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Open Enrollment application process is now available online. From Midnight on the first Monday in February through 4:00 p.m. on  April 30th, applicants may complete and submit applications (24 hours a day) for the upcoming (future) school year. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason. Online application are automatically sent directly to resident and non-resident school districts, as well as, DPI. Online applicants are encouraged to print the completed application for their records.
  • Those who do not have access to a computer may request paper applications from any school district or the Department of Public Instruction Open Enrollment Page. Paper applications must be sent to the individual non-resident school districts within the application period.

 Where do I submit the application?
  • If a family is not completing their application online, paper applications must be submitted to the district that they are trying to enter, not the home district. In Grafton, forms can be mailed to the School District of Grafton 1900 Washington Street, Grafton, WI 53024 Attn: Tammy Kuczynski, Open Enrollment Coordinator, or brought to the District in person within the application period.
Who manages my application?
  • The Student Services Office manages all aspects of the open enrollment program, from application to school assignment.
When do I find out if my child has been accepted?
  • School district notices of approval or denial must be postmarked by June 11, 2021. Parents may appeal the denial within 30 days of the date the denial notice is postmarked or delivered to the parent, whichever occurs first.
Are there seats available?
  • Each year, during their January meeting, the Board of Education determines whether seats will be available and if so, which grade levels will have openings. If there are more applicants than there are seats available, the District engages in a computerized random selection process to determine accepted applicants.  Call Tammy Kuczynski at 262-376-5417 to find out how many seats were opened this year.
How does the waiting list work?
  • Our District may create a waiting list at each grade level, K4-12. If seats become available, we contact families at that time. There is no way to estimate when and if students will be called from the waiting list.
Are grades or attendance a consideration?
  • No, the State law only requires that schools review pre-expulsion and expulsion records and check to see if a child is in special education.
Does the Open Enrollment program allow students to apply who are in special education programs?
  • Yes, however, as with any student, there must be space in the grade level, as well as, space in the special education program(s) that the student needs.
Can K4 Students apply?
  • Yes, Grafton School District has a K4 program.  But in order to apply for K4 open enrollment, both the resident and non-resident districts must have a K4 program in place.
What if my child is accepted at more than one district?
  • Parents have until June 25, 2021 to notify non-resident districts whether their child will open enroll in the 2021-22 school year. If the parent fails to make notification, the student may not participate in open enrollment.
If my child is accepted, when will I find out which school they are assigned?
  • School districts must notify parents of accepted applicants of the school to which they are assigned by July 2, 2021.
Who is responsible for transportation?
  • Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school.
Must pupils re-apply every year?
  • Once a pupil is accepted into a nonresident school district, the pupil may continue to attend that district without re-application except that:
  1. The nonresident district may require a pupil to re-apply one time - at the beginning of middle school or high school.
  2. A pupil who has become habitually truant in the nonresident district may be returned to the resident district.
  3. A pupil may be returned to the resident school district if the special education required in a new or revised IEP is not available in the nonresident district or there is no space.
What is a tuition waiver?
  • Students who attend one of the Grafton School District's public schools and are moving out of the GSD area but wish to remain in the District are usually eligible for a "tuition waiver". This allows the student to continue to attend the school they are attending long enough to apply for Open Enrollment for the following year. A tuition waiver is only temporary, the student must apply for open enrollment at the first opportunity following the move.
    For further information about the Open Enrollment Program at the School District of Grafton, please contact Laura Stautz, Director of Special Education & Student Services or Tammy Kuczynski, Open Enrollment Coordinator at 262-376-5417.

What is a alternative open enrollment?

  • Parents may apply for open enrollment outside of the regular application period if they meet certain circumstances, outlined here.

Alternative Open Enrollment Application
Alternative Open Enrollment FAQ

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.