Open Enrollment

Public School Open Enrollment

2015-16 Open Enrollment Brochure

What is it?

  • Beginning in the Fall of 1998, parents in Wisconsin were offered the option of having their children attend any public school in the State, where space is available, at the grade level or program requested. It is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation to and from this non-resident school district.  
Who can apply for open enrollment at the School District of Grafton?
  • Wisconsin residents in grades 4K-12 may apply to participate in open enrollment at the School District of Grafton.

How and when may parents apply?
  • The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Open Enrollment application process is now available online. From Midnight on Monday, February 2, 2015 through 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 30, 2015, applicants may complete and submit applications 24 hours a day. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason. Online application are automatically sent directly to resident and non-resident school districts, as well as, DPI. Online applicants are encouraged to print the completed application for their records.
  • Those who do not have access to a computer may request paper applications from any school district or the Department of Public Instruction Open Enrollment Page. Paper applications must be sent to the individual non-resident school districts within the application period.
Please do not submit both paper and online applications.


Where do I submit the application?
  • If a family is not completing their application online, paper applications must be submitted to the district that they are trying to enter, not the home district. In Grafton, forms can be mailed to the School District of Grafton 1900 Washington Street, Grafton, WI 53024 Attn: Leslie Peters, Open Enrollment Coordinator, or brought to the District in person within the application period.
Who manages my application?
  • The Student Services Office manages all aspects of the open enrollment program, from application to school assignment.

When do I find out if my child has been accepted?
  • School district notices of approval or denial must be postmarked by June 5, 2015. Parents may appeal the denial within 30 days of the date the denial notice is postmarked or delivered to the parent, whichever occurs first.

Are there seats available?
  • Each year, during their January meeting, the Board of Education determines whether seats will be available and if so, which grade levels will have openings. If there are more applicants than there are seats available, the District engages in a computerized random selection process to determine accepted applicants.

How does the waiting list work?
  • Our District may create a waiting list at each grade level, K4-12. If seats become available, we contact families and invite them to register. There is no way to estimate when and if students will be called from the waiting list.

Are grades or attendance a consideration?
  • No, the State law only requires that schools review pre-expulsion and expulsion records and check to see if a child is in special education.

Does the Open Enrollment program allow students to apply who are in special education programs?
  • Yes, however, as with any student, there must be space in the grade level, as well as, space in the special education program(s) that the student needs.

Can K4 Students apply?
  • Yes, Grafton School District has a K4 program.  But in order to apply for K4 open enrollment, both the resident and non-resident districts must have a K4 program in place.

What if my child is accepted at more than one district?
  • Parents have until June 26, 2015 to notify non-resident districts whether their child will open enroll in the 2015-16 school year. If the parent fails to make notification, the student may not participate in open enrollment.

If my child is accepted, when will I find out which school they are assigned?
  • School districts must notify parents of accepted applicants of the school to which they are assigned by June 5, 2015.

What is a tuition waiver?
  • Families who are moving out of the Grafton School District and wish to have their children remain in the District are usually eligible for a "tuition waiver". This allows the children to continue to attend the District long enough to apply for Open Enrollment. A tuition waiver is only temporary, the student must apply for open enrollment at the first opportunity following the move.
    For further information about the Open Enrollment Program at the School District of Grafton, please contact Marty Armato, Director of Special Education & Student Services or Leslie Peters, Open Enrollment Coordinator at 262-376-5402.