GRAFTON SCHOOL DISTRICT
ANNUAL ASBESTOS NOTIFICATION
2016 - 2017 SCHOOL YEAR
Under AHERA (Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act), all primary and secondary schools are required to develop and implement a plan for managing all building materials which contain asbestos. Included in the AHERA Act is the requirement to annually notify all workers and building occupants (or their guardians) of asbestos-related activities.
Beginning in 1988, all buildings owned, leased, or “under the control of” the Grafton School District were inspected by EPA accredited inspectors, with building material samples analyzed by an independent laboratory. Based on the inspection, the Grafton School District prepared and the state approved a comprehensive management plan for managing the asbestos.
Where the asbestos-containing materials are found, the District has in place an Operations and Maintenance program.
The District has accomplished the following compliance mandates regarding the administration of asbestos in school buildings:
• Environmental Management Consulting, Inc. (EMC) was contracted to be the school’s consultant for asbestos for the current school year.
• The District is continuing with the Operations and Maintenance Program as designed for the School District. This ensures that all asbestos materials are kept in good condition in good condition.
• Periodic “surveillance” in each area containing asbestos has been completed every six months by our consultant.
• Also, the buildings are re-inspected by an accredited inspector every three years. The last three year re-inspection was conducted in August 2013 by Environmental Management Consulting, Inc. (EMC)
• In the past year the District was not involved in any asbestos removal projects. If such project occur in the future, the inspection and abatement of any such material will be in compliance with NESHAPS regulations.
All outside contractors shall contact the Director of Maintenance person before commencing work.
Our goal at the Grafton School District is to be in full compliance with asbestos regulations.
A copy of the Asbestos Management Plan is available for review by contacting the District Office (Monday through Friday 8:00 AM – 3:00PM). Copies are available at $.25 per page.
Questions related to this plan or any other asbestos concerns should be directed to the District’s Designated Person, Mr. Jamie Scofield. Mr. Scofield can be reached at (262) 367-5716.